Monday, April 27, 2009

Music Review - Album: "In a Perfect World" by Keri Hilson


Keri Hilson – “In A Perfect World”

Track Listing:
1. Intro
2. Turning Me On (ft. Lil’ Wayne)
3. Get Your Money Up (ft. Keyshia Cole and Trina)
4. Return the Favor (ft. Timbaland)
5. Knock You Down (ft. Kanye West and Ne-Yo)
6. Slow Dance
7. Make Love
8. Intuition
9. How Does It Feel
10. Alienated
11. Tell Him The Truth
12. Change Me (ft. Akon)
13. Energy
14. Where Did He Go
Tamara's Take: C-, Not worth the money

Stand Out Tracks: Knock You Down
Songs on Repeat: Turnin Me On, Get Your Money Up, Alienated
Solid Tracks: Return The Favor, How Does It Feel, Tell Him The Truth, Energy, Where Did He Go
Skip It: Slow Dance, Make Love, Intuition (the beat is annoying), Change Me (I don’t like Akon’s voice)

I’m somewhat torn on this album. My first impression was completely negative; I don’t think that Keri has a particularly great voice and I think she is definitely a studio artist. I decided to give it another chance and I’m still not that impressed. I am really trying to hear what all the people I’ve heard praising the album must be hearing but I just don’t.

I can’t believe I’m even supporting “Get Your Money Up” because it is a very ghetto hoodrich song but I love Trina even though she fell off. The funny thing is that my favorite song on the track (Knock You Down) is only my favorite because of the guest artists, I could actually do without Keri’s part. I think it is a shame when the people you have featured on your album do a much better job than you do. Now I am a sucker for a sappy or sad love ballad but not by her, she doesn’t have the voice to pull it off. She needs to stick to the more Pop, catchy hook type songs.

I’m really surprised that there are several songs on here where I am just not feeling the production/beat AT ALL. I know that she has written for several other artists, I’m wondering if she gave her best material away…. I can understand why a lot of women/girls like the album though, I’m sure they can relate to the lyrics of the songs. This is not an album that I would just play straight through but I will add a select few of the songs to one of my various playlists.

No comments: