Friday, March 6, 2009

Music Review - Album: "It's Not Me, It's You" by Lily Allen


“It’s Not Me, It’s You” – by Lily Allen
Released February 9, 2009



Track Listing:
1. Everyone’s At It
2. The Fear
3. Not Fair
4. 22
5. I Could Say
6. Back to the Start
7. Never Gonna Happen
8. F*ck You
9. Who’d Have Known
10. Chinese
11. Him
12. He Wasn’t There

Artist Background:
Lily Rose Beatrice Allen born May 2nd, 1985 is an English singer-songwriter. Her first album “Alright, Still” was released December 2006. “It’s Not Me, It’s You” is her second album. Her most popular single from her first album was “Smile” and it did fairly well on the charts.

Tamara’s Take: Limited Airplay

Lily Allen has said in several press releases that she wanted to take this album in a “new direction” and that she did. This album in notably less angry, less party oriented, more grown-up and more political/socially conscious. Sadly, I don’t think that I like this new artist she has become as much as I liked who she was on her first album. I am happy for that she has grown as a person, I just don’t think that I want to listen to that person as much.

The album is far from terrible because she is a good singer. I like her voice and the musical arrangements. The album is just too full of propaganda with songs about war, pollution, homosexuality, etc. There was some of this on her first album but nowhere near as much as there is on this album. There are a few songs I might put on my regular playlist but this isn’t an album I would just let play through.

Standout Tracks:
*It’s Not Fair – (There's just one thing that's getting in the way. When we go up to bed you're just no good)
*Never Gonna Happen – (Now I know you feel betrayed, but it's been a week since I got laid.)

Songs on Repeat:
The Fear, F*ck You, Who’d Have Known

Solid Songs:
I Could Say, Chinese,He Wasn’t There

Skip It:
Everyone’s At It, 22, Back to the Start, Him


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Ugh, I hate when artists change it up on you. If it ain't broke don't fix it! Especially if they change to become more preachy/messagey. There are enough problems in real life, I don't listen to music to hear about why the world sucks. I can watch the news for that. Music is supposed to be sort of an escape from reality.

Tam said...

My thoughts exactly!